Frequently Asked Questions


Does a doctor need a certification to conduct QME’s?
All QMEs have to be certified by the Division of Workers’ Compensation – Medical Unit to conduct examinations on injured workers. To become a certified QME, a physician must pass an exam (given twice annually), pass a report writing course and submit an application to the DWC.
The Division of Workers’ Compensation (DWC) oversees the administration of workers’ compensation claims and provides both administrative and judicial services to assist in resolving disputes that arise concerning claims for workers’ compensation benefits. The DWC also handles QME testing and licensing.
The fees billed for a workers’ compensation evaluation are set by California law and can be found here: